Design Thinking Training Course
The aim of this training course is to help you to learn about the Design Thinking process for creative problem solving and innovative solutions.
What is Design Thinking?
Design Thinking from Stanford’s Institute of Design is a methodology based on human-centred design process. Designers use design thinking to solve problems to create products or services that meet people’s needs.
The Design Thinking process is an iterative process and according to Don Norman, the author of The Design of Everyday Things, “we need more design doing”.
The Design Thinking process can be summarised as follows:
- Discovery & Empathise - Research to find out people’s needs, likes and dislikes as well as to observe people to understand their behaviour.
- Define - Define the design question / problem based on people’ needs.
- Ideate - Brainstorm for ideas to find a solution...there are lots of possible solutions.
- Prototype - Design to solve a problem using sketching & prototyping.
- Test - testing the prototype
The Design Council report on the design economy highlighted some examples of design influence in the 21st century including:
- Health: The number of designers working in health and well-being has increased with the realisation of the social impact of design.
- Business: Design is transforming businesses, building design studios and appointing Chief Design Officers to join their board of directors…becoming design-led businesses.
- Cities: In large populated cities, design is being used to solve problems in e.g. housing and infrastructure.
- Government: In the UK, Europe and the US, design is being used to improve public services and policies.
- Learn how to identify problems
- Learn to be empathetic (people-centred design)
- Learn how to think creatively, to follow an iterative design process and to adopt the Design Thinking mindset
- Learn how to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team
We offer tailored training in-house at your company to suit your business needs.
Contact us for more information about our tailored training >